We test Draw Attention with every WordPress release, and with many of the most popular themes and plugins. However, conflicts with other themes and plugins still happen, and this is usually the root cause if any part of Draw Attention is not working on your website.
Here are steps you can take to figure out the source of the issue:
1. Make sure you have a backup of your site
Before testing anything, please make sure you have a backup of your entire site. This is especially critical if you try switching themes in step 3. If you don’t have a backup solution already, we usually recommend the free Duplicator plugin. Or Updraft Plus is another good free option.
- if you have a live site with daily viewers, you may want to activate a Maintenance plugin while doing these steps.
- if you have caching set up, try to turn it off while testing, or clear it between tests. Also be sure to reload the page you’re testing.
2. Deactivate Plugins
- If possible, deactivate all other plugins besides Draw Attention.
- Try editing your Draw Attention image, and/or reload the page where your image is placed.
- Does it work now? If so, you know one of those plugins is the source of the problem. Begin reactivating your plugins one by one, testing if your DA image works after activating each one.
- If it stops working after re-activating a certain plugin, most likely that one is the problem.
In some cases you may need to leave plugins such as a page builder active if it’s required to display the Draw Attention shortcode where you want it. Just keep in mind if you test all other plugins and don’t find a problem, the one(s) you’ve left active could be the source.
If Draw Attention doesn’t work with all other plugins deactivated, proceed to step 3.
3. Switch your theme to a WP default theme
Caution: depending on your theme, switching to another theme and switching back can cause unexpected changes, especially in your widgets and menus. Make sure you have a backup before doing this.
If you’ve concluded that other plugins aren’t causing the issue, try switching to the default Twenty Fifteen or Twenty Sixteen themes. Test if Draw Attention works with one of these. If it works now, you can be sure the conflict is with your theme.
Doing these steps will help us to help you troubleshoot quicker. Whatever the problem, just email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll do our best to help you fix any issues you’re having.